Get all the flavors you love with traditional enchiladas without having to do all the work by making this easy Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stack.
Oh yes. This dinner was delicious. I love enchiladas. What’s not to love about melty cheese, spicy red chile sauce, tortillas? Nothing. That’s what. Oh, wait a minute. I know. They’re a royal pain in the but to make. Traditional enchiladas, that is. You see, corn tortillas are incredibly dry and pretty much make me gag. The only way I’ve enjoyed traditional rolled enchiladas is when I fry up the corn tortillas in oil to soften them. Well, not only is that a pain in the ass, but my thighs could live with a wee bit less oil, if possible.
So, I present to you a super easy and incredibly delicious way to make enchiladas! I basically cheated the entire process, that is, except for the part where I made the enchilada sauce from scratch, which I highly recommend. Otherwise, I cheated by using pre-shredded cheese, pre-cooked chicken, and tortillas that are a perfect blend between flour and corn. These tortillas are perfect because they are just the right size for my slow cooker, they taste like corn tortillas but have the texture of corn aka they don’t need to be soaked in hot oil in order to be swallowed without gagging. You know I love Trader Joe’s, and that’s where I got all of the ingredients (of course).
Now that I’m writing this post, I really wish I still had some of this leftover in the frig. Alas, we made enough for dinner that night and leftovers the next day, then it was gone.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stack
- 2 cups or one 15 ounce can enchilada sauce
- 6 8-inch corn flour tortillas
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast 2 small breasts, shredded
- 12 ounces Mexican blend cheese combination of cheddar, jack, etc., shredded
- serve with olives avocado, sour cream, cilantro, etc.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine beans, corn, chicken, and about 1 cup of enchilada sauce. Stir to combine.
- Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Layer one tortilla on the bottom. Top with a scoop of the chicken mixture and spread to create an even layer. Top with a handful of cheese. Continue to repeat the process and portion the ingredients such that you end up topping it off with a tortilla, the remaining enchilada sauce, and a big handful of cheese.
- Cook on high 1-2 hours or on low 4-6 hours.