Lobster Mac and Cheese, with succulent pieces of wild caught fresh water lobster, is possibly the best macaroni and cheese recipe you’ll find!
Now, even though I cheat and use langostino instead of true lobster, once you smother it with the heavenly cheddar gruyere cheese sauce and crisp topping, no one will argue! It’s about as rich and decadent as my classic mac and cheese, but with tender bites of shellfish!
Lobster Mac and Cheese is such a decadent meal, but I would argue it’s worth every calorie! This recipe combines tender cooked pasta with a creamy cheese sauce and tender bites of seafood. You can totally make a pot of this lobster mac and cheese and eat it right out of the pan, but I love to bake it in the oven with a parmesan and panko crumb crust.
This is truly a decadent and delectable recipe. The creamy gruyere cheddar cheese sauce is perfection. Plus, it is super fast and easy to make since the lobster, or langostino, meat I recommend using is already cooked. Simple!
Other favorite Mac and Cheese recipes:
- Hidden Cauliflower Mac and Cheese – I steam cauliflower, puree it, and add it to the cheese sauce for some hidden vitamins
- Bacon Jalepeño Mac and Cheese – I love bacon jalapeno everything, but the pair is fabulous in mac and cheese
- Butternut squash mac n cheese – this is a fall favorite, but I still get a craving for it year round
Kitchen tools used to make this recipe:
- Saucepan to cook the pasta and then make the cheese sauce. I replaced all of my pans this past Christmas with All-Clad and will never go back!
- Cheese Grater – doesn’t freshly grated cheese always taste so much better?
- Garlic Press – I’ve been through a handful of garlic presses in my lifetime and this one works the best
- Tablespoon – I don’t know if it’s the shape of the spoon, but this is a fantastic set that doesn’t spill your ingredients
- Whisk – do you have a good one? You should.
- Cocottes – whether you’re making some baked mac and cheese or individual desserts, every home cook should have a set of mini round cocottes
Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces macaroni I used ditalini pasta
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups gruyere cheddar cheese grated (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces cooked lobster meat see note
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic herb spices or thyme
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water to al dente doneness. You want them to be cooked but firm since they will continue cooking in the sauce. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the cheese sauce. Over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter with the garlic. Allow to cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Whisk in the flour and allow to cook for several minutes to form a roux.
- Add the milk to the roux and whisk well to combine. Bring milk to a simmer and allow to cook for several minutes, continually whisking. It should thicken slightly. Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese, salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add lobster meat and cooked pasta to the cheese sauce.
- Divide mac and cheese between 6 ramekins or transfer to a baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and combine in a small dish with the breadcrumbs, parmesan, and herbs. Spread evenly over mac and cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve hot.