Homemade Cajun Seasoning Mix is an easy combination of Cajun spices that you can make yourself. Cajun seasoning will add heat and flavor to your food!
Why this recipe works:
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning Mix is one of those spice blends everyone should have at the ready in their pantry.
- So many spice blends you find at the store are actually full of preservatives to keep them from sticking together. Have you ever taken a close look at the ingredients? A lot of times those store bought spices have things I don't want to add into my cooking.
- This cajun seasoning is similar to my One Spoon Dry Rub in that you can rub it on any kind of meat like roasted chicken, steaks, ribs, whatever to create an intense flavor.
- I also find that this cajun spice blend is pleasing to look at because it combines a fair amount of powders as well as dried herbs.
I used this seasoning recipe to make Cajun chicken alfredo with homemade pasta and the most amazing alfredo sauce. Recipes for both of those are yet to come, so stay tuned! My most popular recipe made with this seasoning mix is my Cajun Shrimp Pasta recipe!
How to make cajun seasoning:
- This one isn't really that hard. You just determine which spices you want to add to your homemade cajun seasoning, measure, and mix. The only equipment you'll need is a set of measuring spoons.
- I highly recommend making more than you plan on using and then storing your cajun spices in an airtight container in your pantry so that you always have some on hand.
- Prior to cooking with the cajun seasoning recipe you just made, give it a quick taste. Does it have enough heat? If not, add some more cayenne. Does it have enough salt? If not, add more. This cajun seasoning recipe is exactly how I like it, but you may prefer your homemade cajun seasoning to have more of one spice and less of another.
Cajun cooking ideas:
Once you have your cajun seasoning mixed together, here are some ideas you can use your cajun spices for:
- Make a one-pot Cajun shrimp dish
- Combine with crabmeat and cream cheese for surprisingly delectable party food.
- Mix with ground turkey breast or 90 percent lean ground beef, Dijon mustard, and finely chopped red onion for a jazzed up burger.
- Sprinkle over freshly popped popcorn.
- Give oven fries a kick when they’re hot out of the oven.
- Mix with nonfat Greek yogurt as a dip for veggies or baked potato topper.
- Mix with canola oil, brush over salmon, then grill.
- Use on its own or mix with other favorite spices to make a dry rub for chicken, fish, steak, pork, corn on the cob or thick slices of vegetables.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Mix
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine all spices in small bowl. Use as a dry rub on poultry, beef, shrimp, etc. You can also add to sauces and soups. Store in airtight container.