This vibrant and easy to make Fresh Melon Basil Salad is a healthy and tasty addition to any breakfast or brunch. Its the perfect Mother's Day brunch treat.
Isn't it pretty? There's something so wonderful about having cute little perfectly shaped melon balls and then dressing them up with thin little ribbons of basil. I plan on making this ahead of time and then my kids can "make" it for me on Mother's Day. They are so excited about making me breakfast in bed all by themselves. I plan on getting everything ready for them so all they really have to do is assemble it and carry it up stairs, but they are so excited to be able to do that for me and I am really looking forward to it.
So, I don't have a real melon baller. I actually just used my cookie dough scoop and it worked perfectly fine. The trick to a perfectly shaped melon ball is to press it down into the melon until the fruit fills the entire scoop. Then you just twist the melon ball right out. I actually had to watch a youtube video to figure out how to do it correctly. Toss those balls (that's what he said) in some lime juice and honey and serve them up in a chilled glass and you have a beautiful, colorful, fresh and delicious breakfast fruit salad.
Fresh Melon Basil Salad
- ½ cantaloupe ( or similar variety, seeds removed)
- ½ mini watermelon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4-6 large basil leaves
- To scoop perfect melon balls, push melon baller (I didn't have one so I used my cookie scoop) into the melon until the fruit fills the baller, then twist to remove the ball. Super easy.
- In small dish, whisk together lime juice and honey until the honey dissolves. Pour lime honey mixture over your cut melon balls and gently toss to coat.
- To cut basil leaves into ribbons, stack the leaves, then roll them up tightly and slice. Mix in with melon. Serve chilled.