Quick and Easy Creamy Tomato Soup can be made by diluting your favorite pasta sauce and adding heavy cream and basil.
The secret ingredient that makes it so easy is jarred pasta sauce! It doesn't get much easier than this.
If you were to ask me what I make for family dinner when I’m really pressed for time, it would be this tomato soup.
If you were to ask me what you should make if you want a tasty comforting meal but don’t have the time and/or patience to spend in the kitchen? It would be this creamy tomato basil soup.
If you were to ask me what one of my kids’ most favorite dinner is? It would be this soup (with a grilled cheese sandwich, of course).
Don’t get me wrong – I’ve made tomato soup the old fashioned way when all of my tomatoes in the garden decide to all ripen on the very same day and I have to either use them in a recipe or pick their rotten little bodies off the ground. Nothing beats a recipe that is truly homemade from scratch. But, even though this tomato soup recipe cheats, it's still really good.
What is the difference between homemade and easy tomato soup?
Homemade tomato soup from scratch is amazing. No doubt.
But I’m willing to bet that if you do a little taste test with some from scratch homemade creamy basil tomato soup next to this five minute creamy basil tomato soup, you would not be able to tell which one was which. And that’s the kind of trickery I’m super proud of.
How do you make it?
This soup is so darn easy to make that calling it “five minute” soup was even a bit of a stretch. If I was really on point, I’m sure I could have had it ready to serve in 4 minutes, 14 seconds flat. All it takes is a little butter, some fresh basil, a jar of good quality pasta sauce, water, and some heavy cream.
- First, you will need to heat a saucepan over medium heat and saute you freshly chopped basil in the butter until it is fragrant. This should take around one minute.
- Next you will add the entire jar of pasta sauce along with the water. You will need to wait until it is heated through, which should take around three to four minutes.
- Finally, you will remove it from the heat and stir in the heavy cream. When you are finished, you can top this with freshly ground pepper if you would like.
How do you make tomato soup creamy?
The secret to making tomato soup creamy is the addition of the heavy cream to the soup. This is what creams up the delicious tomato basil soup goodness!
This may be my very best kitchen cheat ever. Since we’re big eaters, I actually double the recipe for my hungry family of four so that we have plenty of soup for grilled cheese dipping and a little bit of leftovers for the next day. You could definitely feed four people with the recipe below, however, if the people you’re serving aren’t as obsessed with creamy tomato soup as we are!
Easy Cream of Tomato Soup
- ½ cup fresh basil (minced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 25 ounces Pasta Sauce (I full jar)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute chopped fresh basil in butter until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add entire jar of pasta sauce along with water and heat on high until heated through, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream. Top with freshly ground pepper, if desired.
- Serve with some triple threat grilled cheese sandwiches for the ultimate comfort meal.
This post was originally created in June 2015 and has been updated with more fun facts and tidbits for your reading pleasure.