If you like Rice Krispie Treats, you’ll love these holiday inspired Christmas Tree Corn Flake Treats, complete with decorations and a tootsie roll stump.
We made it! Today marks our 12th, and final, day of the 12 Days of Holiday Treats series. Yayyyyy!
I’m going to start this post by saying that my husband is a total genius. Why am I saying that? Well, I’m telling you that because he doesn’t read my blog very often. Sure, he eats just about everything you see posted, but he doesn’t read the posts that often. I do, however, think he might read this one because these cookies were his idea, and he expected full credit. So there you go. He’s a freaking genius.
The funny thing about my husband’s recommendations for my blog is that 9 times out of 10 his ideas
suck aren’t very good. But every once in a while, he comes up with a really great idea. I’ll hand it to him – I loved these trees. His mom has been making Christmas Wreath cookies for years and we always gobble them up. He suggested that instead of making a wreath, I shove them in a Christmas Tree mold and he was right – they were super cute.
I shoved a tootsie roll in the base to give it a stump. The trees would have stood up straight had I not done that, but at the same time I thought the stump gave the treats a lot of character. That being said, consider the tootsie rolls optional. You can’t beat these cookies if you’re looking for a holiday treat that’s tasty, easy, and fun! Your kids will love them too!!!
This recipe uses pure vanilla extract. Did you know you can make your own homemade vanilla extract? It makes the perfect gift too. Watch how in the video below.
If you like Rice Krispie Treats, you'll love these holiday inspired Christmas Tree Corn Flake Treats, complete with decorations and a tootsie roll stump.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups cornflakes cereal
- cinnamon red hot candies
- mini tootsie rolls
- tree mold and cooking spray
- Spray inside of silicone tree mold with cooking spray.
- Heat butter and marshmallows in pot over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat and stir in coloring and extracts until well combined. Add corn flakes and stir to coat.
- Spoon into tree molds, sliding the occasional red hot on the side as you fill the wells. Press down with your fingers or back of spoon to fill the molds.
- Once cool, transfer to lightly greased serving/storage tray with lightly greased fingers. Jam an unwrapped tootsie roll into the bottom of the tree to act as a stump. Set mold in freezer to set. Serve at room temperature.