Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole has all of the great flavor of homemade chicken cordon bleu, but it is much easier to make with rotisserie chicken.
Tender pieces of chicken, ham, and melted Swiss cheese are covered with a savory crumb topping and then smothered in a Dijon cream sauce. Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is the kind of dinner your entire family will love!
Easy casserole recipe:
My family loves it when I make hearty casseroles like Cheeseburger Casserole and Easy Taco Casserole for dinner. I knew this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole would not only be a hit with the entire family because they already love my original Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe, but I knew I would love making it because it is a super easy casserole.
This recipe is so easy, in fact, that it almost feels like a cheat. You see, the most difficult part of making Chicken Cordon Bleu is the fact that you have to pound the raw chicken breasts and roll them around ham and Swiss. Not a lot of people enjoy handling raw chicken and the technique of stuffing the chicken breasts can be a bit challenging.
Next time you’re grocery shopping, just pick up a precooked rotisserie chicken. Everyone knows they taste fantastic on their own, but when you combine them with a few other ingredients to make this easy casserole, your mouth won’t stop watering!
You could make the same kind of easy casserole for a traditional chicken parmesan recipe. Instead of using raw chicken, you could pick up a rotisserie chicken and have yourself an easy dinner casserole using similar ingredients!
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is basically Chicken Cordon Bleu, deconstructed. I knew I wanted to use the same ingredients as my original Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe, and I wanted it to have the same crispy topping and creamy sauce as well.
The basic Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe consists of chicken wrapped around ham and Swiss cheese, then coated with some kind of bread crumb topping, and baked to perfection. The cream sauce is optional, but if you ask me I think it’s a must. For whatever reasons, the saltiness of the ham and the meltiness of the Swiss cheese perfectly compliment the chicken. I guarantee that if you make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole for dinner, your entire family will love it and want you to add it to your regular rotation.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken
- 8 oz ham thinly sliced
- 6 oz swiss cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 4 T butter melted
- 1 tsp garlic herb blend
- 1 T butter
- 1 T all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 3 T parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp thyme fresh preferred, dried will work
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from bones and shred. Bones and skin can be tossed inyour Instant Pot with water for a couple hours to make some chicken broth for later! Combine shredded chicken with ham, swiss cheese, and chicken broth in large casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan, melted butter and garlic herb seasonings. Sprinkle over chicken. Cover and bake until heated through and cheese has melted, about 20 minutes.
- While the casserole is cooking, make the sauce. In a saucepan melt the butter, then add the flour and whisk together. Cook for several minutes while continually whisking to avoid burning.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Continue to heat until the milk bubbles and begins to thicken, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in dijon, parmesan, and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, pour warm sauce over casserole.