Baked Chocolate Glazed Donuts are a combination of crisp-on-the-outside and soft-in-the-middle dark chocolate cake donut and a super sweet glaze.
They are incredibly easy to bake in the oven. No frying required! They are the perfect sweet breakfast treat to enjoy with a homemade espresso, cappuccino, or latte!
Baked Chocolate Glazed Donuts are best enjoyed with coffee or an espresso, don't you agree? I'm about to blow your mind. What about chocolate donuts that are made with a bit of espresso powder in the batter served along side an espresso. Now we're talking!
How to make Baked Chocolate Glazed Donuts:
- To make baked donuts, you'll need a donut pan. It's similar to a muffin pan, but the wells are shallow circles.
- To properly mix the batter, you'll want to combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the liquid ingredients in another. Then, to mix them together, you will add the dry ingredients by the spoonful to the wet ingredients and stir the batter just until it's mixed.
- You can spoon the batter into the donut pan, however I find it easiest to transfer it to a resealable plastic bag, snipping the corner, and squeezing it into the pan. This gives you the most control over where your batter goes.
- To ensure the insides of your baked chocolate donuts stay moist and delicious, you'll want to pop the donuts out of the pan as soon as you take them out of the oven. If you leave them in the pan, they will continue to cook.
- Finally, a dip in warm glaze adds just the right amount of sweetness to your baked chocolate donut.
Why do coffee and donuts go so well together?
I don't know. It's one of life's great mysteries, I suppose.
I did find it quite amusing, however, that right after I served my husband these glazed chocolate donuts with a hot latte, that he dunked his donut into the coffee.
Just like with my heavenly homemade chocolate cupcakes, I love to add espresso powder to the batter. Just like coffee and donuts go together, the combination of chocolate and coffee is every foodie's dream. There's something about the bitter richness that espresso provides combined with that amazing chocolate flavor. The coffee certainly enhances the chocolate flavor, to say the least!
I dare you to tell me you're not totally craving a hot cup of coffee and a glazed chocolate donut right now!
Baked Chocolate Glazed Donuts
Baked Chocolate Donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 6-well donut pans with non-stick spray. Set aside.
To make the donuts:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and espresso powder together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk together until smooth. Add the melted butter along with the vanilla extract, stirring until fully combined. Add the flour mixture to this wet mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the batter to a gallon sized freezer bag. Squeeze out all the air before sealing and snip the bottom corner off so that you can pipe one fat bead of batter into each well of the donut pan.
- Bake for 9–10 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer donuts to a cooling rack and allow to fully cool to room temperature.
To make the glaze:
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla extract in a small sauce pan. Heat over low heat while stirring constantly just to warm the glaze and allow the sugar to fully dissolve. Remove from heat.
- Dip the top of each cooled donut in the warm glaze and return to rack.
- Donuts are best enjoyed fresh but can be stored in an air tight container for a couple days if not eaten right away.