This Asparagus Risotto with Pecorino Romano recipe yields a creamy rich delicious dish that can be served as a side or star alone as its own entree.
Marry asparagus with risotto and a slightly stinky cheese like pecorino romano, and you've created a masterpiece. You will love this asparagus risotto with pecorino romano as a side dish accompanying a main dish like chicken or pork chops. This asparagus risotto can also be your starring entree alone as a vegetarian dish or with some succulent prawns tossed in.
I've been getting a fair amount of asparagus in my CSA produce box each week. Years back, I had a bad experience of eating nasty mushy white asparagus with solid hollandaise in Austria. Besides being completely entertained by watching my little sister yell at the server in German, the experience was one I never want to repeat. As such, I don't think I've ever made asparagus with hollandaise as a side. So what am I to do with all of this gorgeous thin fresh asparagus? I asked my foodie friends and one of them suggested risotto. Yes. Genius.
I like a fair amount of snap to my asparagus due to my post traumatic nausea, so I recommend adding the asparagus at the end. I'm sure you will agree this is the right thing to do. I also highly recommend only using thin asparagus. It's just more tender and delicious. Trust me.
I served this with my parmesan herb encrusted chicken. Much to my disappointment, the never-admitting foodie husband and both foodie-in-training kids loved it... which always means less leftovers for me. Oh well.
Asparagus Risotto with Pecorino Romano
- 4 cups asparagus (ends trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces, divided)
- 4 cups chicken stock (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion (finely chopped, approximately 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces pecorino romano cheese (microplaned or grated fine)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper to taste
- In blender, combine 1 cup asparagus and 1 cup chicken stock, process until smooth. You want to do this to infuse that wonderful asparagus flavor into your risotto. I medium saucepan, combine with remaining 3 cups of stock and simmer over low heat.
- In a medium sized heavy bottom stockpot or dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium high heat until lightly brown, 5-6 minutes.
- Add rice and stir for 1 minute. You want rice to get slightly browned.
- Add wine and stir until liquid is absorbed, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of asparagus stock mixture and continue stirring until liquid is absorbed. Continue to add stock mixture, ½ cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed, until all liquid has been added to rice, approximately 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add remaining asparagus, 3 ounces of the shredded cheese, heavy cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and allow to rest.
- Top with microplaned pecorino romano cheese. Recipe reserves an ounce for this. Feel free to go crazy and use much more. I always do.