Looking for a rich and delicious breakfast that is also healthy and gluten free? These Avocado Eggs with Warm Basil Tomatoes are a must-make recipe.
If you follow me on instagram, you would have seen that California Avocados sent me a huge case of perfect beautiful dark green perfectly ripe creamy avocados because I won a recipe contest for my competition worthy guacamole. I’ve been seeing people make eggs in avocados in the oven with the avocado skin on, but I wanted to try something different. Not that eggs and avocados need anything more than a bit of salt and pepper, but I just so happened to have half a pint of the most beautiful farmers market cherry tomatoes that were on the verge of going bad along with some basil from a plant that I actually didn’t kill (this is surprising for me with my black thumb).
I suppose you can use any oil you’d like, but I used avocado oil because, well, why not? Plus it tolerates high temperatures well. If you’ve never had avocado fried in avocado oil, you are missing out, my friends. And everyone knows how good tomatoes taste when they’re cooked up in hot oil. I wanted most of the egg to stay put on the avocado so I scooped out a bit and ate it to make a larger well.
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 large avocado, cut in half, seed removed, scooped out of skin
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, whole, stems removed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Scoop some avocado where the seed was to make a larger well for the egg. Just eat what you scooped out.
- In a heavy bottom skillet or pot with a fitted lid, heat oil. Add avocado halves taking care not to let them break as well as tomatoes. Allow to cook in the hot oil 3-5 minutes.
- Crack one egg into each half and add 3-4 tablespoons of water to the bottom of the pan. Be careful as the water might splatter in the hot oil. Cover tightly with lid to poach the eggs with the steam.
- After 5-10 minutes, check doneness of eggs by jiggling them. You want the yolks to remain runny while the whites get fully cooked.
- Use a spatula to transfer the avocado eggs to a plate. Add basil to the tomatoes in the pan and stir to combine, the top eggs with tomato mixture. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.