SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE made from a delicious homemade Sloppy Joe recipe is topped with tater tots for the ultimate comfort food dinner!
I took a spin on an old classic and created a masterpiece. No joke. I love my homemade Sloppy Joes but we've always eaten them on a bun with tater tots on the side. Turns out cooking the tots with the Sloppy Joe is downright perfection!
If you've never made homemade Sloppy Joes, they're about a thousand time better than mixing ground beef with sauce from a can. Sauce that is most likely filled with a bunch of junk you don't want in your body. Making them from scratch is super easy and the flavor can't be beat.
I have to tell you that my kids were particularly impressed with my tater tot concentric circle design, as was I. Do you see all that steamy goodness rising up from the pan? MMMMmmmm delicious! This is the best kind of comfort food dinner you can find!
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef (grass fed recommended)
- 1 large yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 15 ounces tomato sauce (no-salt added recommended)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 pounds frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a very large (14-inch recommended) oven safe skillet, brown the ground beef with the onions and the bell pepper over medium high heat until the meat is fully cooked and crumbly, about 10 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the tater tots and stir well to combine.
- Arrange the tater tots in a single layer on top of the sloppy joe mixture in the pan. Cook uncovered in preheated oven until the tater tots are cooked through and golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
many thanks i love the idea of the tots but being in the uk i dont think i can get them what else could i use regards tom
I suppose you could make your own but that seems like a lot of work! This would actually taste really good with mashed potatoes on top... sort of like a shepherd's pie.
We love sloppy joes!! A casserole made it even better
Such a delicious casserole! My kids especially love the tator tots on top 🙂 We will be making this one again really soon.
Perfect comfort food, so easy and my family loves it.