Nothing says summer like a delicious Picnic Pasta Salad with bow tie pasta, vegetables, mozzarella and an Italian dressing.
I was never a fan of pasta salad when I was a kid. There was something about all those tiny little raw vegetables. You know - the ones that are too small to pick out?
Well, that's the exact reason I love this pasta salad as an adult. Fortunately my taste buds have evolved over the years and I love fresh veggies.
Throw in some cheese and a high quality Italian dressing to bind it all together, and I'm a happy girl. This recipe makes a ton of food so its fantastic for your outdoor gatherings with friends and family.
Picnic Pasta Salad
- 16 ounces bowtie pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup peppers (diced, I used a mixture of red, orange, and yellow)
- 1 cup carrots (diced)
- ⅓ cup celery (diced)
- ⅓ cup green onions (diced)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella (diced)
- ¼ cup parmesan (grated)
- 8 ounces Italian salad dressing
- handful of freshly minced basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, only stop cooking a couple minutes before recommended time so that pasta is a bit al dente. Toss drained pasta in olive oil to prevent sticking, set aside.
- In large pot or bowl, combine vegetables and cheese. Toss to combine. Add pasta and toss to combine. Add salad dressing and toss once more to fully combine.
- Before serving, garnish with basil and salt & pepper as desired.