This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Shredded Beef with peppers and onions is one of the best Mexican pressure cooker dinner recipes!
Transform your chuck roast into this delicious meal. Then use any leftovers to make beef enchiladas.
Shredded Beef is one of the easiest dinner recipes you can make for your family. Tender, moist, flavorful pieces of beef are so easy to incorporate into a dinner recipe. Because this recipe is flavored with taco seasoning, this shredded beef goes great in burritos and enchiladas. The sauteed peppers and onions only add to the flavor.
Plus, since this recipe is made in the Instant Pot, it couldn’t be any easier!
What cut of beef is best?
You can’t beat how well a chuck roast cooks and shreds, especially when you cook it in the pressure cooker. There’s something unique about that cut of meat and the amount of fat marbled throughout that makes it tender and moist and shred like a dream.
You can choose a bone-in or boneless chuck roast for this recipe. My preference is actually to always use a bone-in roast when available because it just adds so much more flavor. I had to use a boneless chuck roast for this recipe, however, because it what was available. The fact that it was a Wagyu grassfed chuck roast sure didn’t hurt either!
How to make it in the Instant Pot:
You can totally make this shredded beef recipe with or without the onions and peppers, but because of the seasoning, the vegetables only enhance this recipe.
- To start, you will saute the onions and peppers in the Instant Pot. Cook them in small batches with the least amount of stirring possible. The goal is to give them a nice sear without over cooking them. Once done, you’ll pull them out and set them aside.
- Next step is to sear the chuck roast in the Instant Pot. Again, once you set it in there, don’t move it around until you get some nice color on the outside.
- After you sear the roast, you’ll simply add the seasoning and water, close and lock the lid, and cook on high pressure for a full hour. You’ll transfer that cooked roast to a separate cutting board.
- Then, and here’s the best part, you’ll change the heat back to saute mode and continue cooking all of that liquid down until it reduces into a flavorful sauce.
- Shred the meat and get rid of all the fat. Side note: some people like to eat the fat, I prefer to pick it out and feed it to my chickens. Then, toss the shredded meat in the reduced sauce. Either combine with the peppers and onions or serve alongside. YUM!
Love easy Instant Pot beef recipes?
You’ll have to try these:
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot) Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Instant Pot Barbacoa Quesadillas
- Pressure Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Pressure Cooker Cocktail Meatballs
Instant Pot Shredded Beef Recipe
- 2 tbsp avocado oil divided, can use olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 bell peppers stem and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced thin
- 2 pound beef chuck roast allow to sit at room temperature for an hour or so before cooking, I use boneless but you can use bone-in as well
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning can substitute with fajita seasoning
- 1 cup water
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute mode and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the peppers. You want them to get seared but not soggy, so you may want to brown them in small batches. Only stir occasionally to prevent burning. Once the edges get nice color, transfer them to a separate plate and continue cooking remaining peppers. Follow same process with the onion. Set aside.
- With the Instant Pot still on saute mode, add the remaining tablespoon of oil with the chuck roast and allow to brown on both sides, about a 5 minute sear on each side to brown the outside.
- Add the taco seasoning and water and set to high pressure for 60 minutes. Once done, you can quick release pressure or allow it to natural release. Transfer the cooked roast to a cutting board and set the Instant Pot back to saute mode with the lid off to allow the liquid to reduce.
- Once the roast is cool enough to handle, use a couple forks to shred the meat and discard any fat (unless you like to leave it in). Once the liquid is reduced by about half, turn Instant Pot to warm setting and add the shredded meat to the sauce. Stir to coat.
- Add the browned peppers and onions to the meat mixture and stir to coat or serve them on the side. Serve shredded beef with peppers and onions as a main course or add to burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.