Create a delicious and sophisticated dinner when you make this mouthwatering Filet Mignon with Malbec Mushrooms.
I am a lover of wine. I definitely would not consider myself an elite expert. Far from it. But much like food, I can tell when a wine is a) delicious and b) of good quality. I bought a new bottle of wine and my first instinct was to make hamburgers because I really wanted to enjoy this wine with red meat, but then I took it to the next level and went above and beyond hamburgers and used filet mignon. I also knew that I not only wanted to enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner, but I also wanted to incorporate it into the recipe.
Steak (or any cut of beef, really) and mushrooms are meant to be together. Its just one of those pairings that have to happen. That part was easy. I wanted to add some depth and flavor without over powering the dish, so I opted for scallions over traditional yellow onions. Of course, garlic and herbs were a must as well.
After the mushrooms, green onions, and garlic were beautifully cooked and the cooked steak was resting, it was time to finish off the meal with the Malbec. I added the wine to the sizzling mushrooms, scraped all those wonderful bits off the bottom of the pan to incorporate into the sauce, and then added the herbs and the butter to create a rich and wonderful sauce.
This dinner along is beautiful. You can't beat a good steak, creamy mashed potatoes, and dark green broccolini. But add these Malbec mushrooms and it takes a really good meal over the top and makes it unbelievably good.
Filet Mignon with Malbec Mushrooms
- 1 ½ pounds filet mignon steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 green onions (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup Malbec wine
- fresh thyme and rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Allow steaks to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to cooking. Insert a meat thermometer into one of the steaks. Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degress F.
- Heat a large oven safe skillet over high heat. Add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the steaks and allow to brown, undisturbed, for about 5 minutes. Turn the steaks and immediately transfer to preheated oven. Cook until you reach an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees F. Remove from oven, transfer steaks to a plate, and loosely cover with aluminum foil.
- Using the same pan, cook mushrooms and green onions over high heat, stirring only occasionally, until browned. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic, stir, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add malbec wine and fresh herbs. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan and allow wine to reduce by about half. Remove from heat and stir in butter to finish off sauce.
- To serve, top steak with a large spoonful of the mushrooms with extra sauce.