This Creamy Butternut Bacon Pasta combines roasted butternut squash with goat cheese, bacon, and pasta to create a rich and delicious meal perfect for fall.
A little while back I had picked up a butternut squash at the farmers market with no idea what to do with it. There’s one thing I do know, however – I despise cutting or peeling any kind of raw and hard squash or pumpkin. So what did I do? I threw the whole damn thing right in the hot oven. When it was soft enough to cut in half without the potential of me chopping my thumb right off, I did, and I scooped the seeds out and rubbed the flesh with oil too. Then, right back in the oven to continue roasting. When it was done, I had the most wonderful roasted butternut squash puree. What to make?
Pasta with bacon, goat cheese and heavy cream, of course! I threw some spinach in for color and the final dish was quite delicious! It was super rich and creamy – definitely a hardy fall dinner. So go ahead and cook up that squash that’s been sitting on your counter for weeks!
Creamy Butternut Bacon Pasta
- 8 ounces pasta
- 8 ounces bacon ends and pieces cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or bacon grease
- 1 large shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large stockpot over medium high heat, cook shallot in oil until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, stir, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan, releasing anything that has stuck to the bottom. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Add goat cheese, heavy cream, spinach, squash, and cooked bacon. Stir to combine and cook until heated through. Toss in cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper, as desired. Serve hot.