Dutch Apple Pie
Dutch Apple Pie is the best version of apple pie! Instead of a top crust, you enjoy a sweet crumble topping over a mound of delicious apples. Everyone will agree that this is the best apple pie they've ever had.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Cool time 30 minutes
Servings 12 slices
- 8 cups apples peeled, cored, sliced thin (about 5 large apples or 8 small apples), see note about varieties
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter chilled and cut into tiny cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and arrange racks so that the pie can cook on the bottom rack. Line an 8-inch pie pan with crust. Fold over edges and pinch to flute. Set prepared dish on a large baking sheet that is lined with a silpat, parchment paper, or foil.
In a large bowl, combine apples, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
To make the crumble topping, combine the brown sugar, 1 cup flour, the chilled butter pieces and the remaining cinnamon using a pastry blender in a large bowl. You want your butter to remain as small chunks about the size of a pea.
To assemble pie, mound apples on top of crust.
Then, carefully spoon on crumble topping, taking care not to spill too much over the edges and pressing down onto the apples as needed to make it stick.
Place prepared pie on baking sheet on bottom rack of oven. Cook for about 1 hour. If topping starts to brown, loosely tent with foil.
Allow pie to cool at least 30min to an hour, however it will slice best if you allow pie to fully cool.
- Recipe makes one large pie.
- Recipe for the best pie crust: https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/not-your-mamas-all-butter-pie-crust/
- Best varieties of apples: I prefer a mixture of granny smith with something sweet and crisp like a Honeycrisp.
- Be sure to set your pie on a lined baking sheet. This will prevent oven spills and make for easy clean up.
- This pie is fantastic on it's own, or you can serve a la mode with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 133mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg