Cowboy Caviar, also known as Texas Caviar, is a cold salad recipe consisting of black eyed peas, a light vinaigrette dressing, and colorful vegetables!
Servings: 12 servings
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes seeds removed, diced (about 1 cup once chopped)
- 15 ounce can corn drained, can use 1-2 cups of fresh or frozen instead if available
- 15 ounce can olives drained and chopped
- 1 avocado pit removed, peeled, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and stem removed, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro minced
Make the salad: Combine all ingredients except for those designated for the dressing in a very large bowl. Toss to combine.
Make the dressing: Combine all of the remaining ingredients except for the olive oil. While whisking, slowly pour a thin stream of olive oil in, whisking constantly, until it all has been added. Continue to whisk until fully emulsified.
Combine and serve: Add dressing to the salad and toss to coat. Transfer to a clean bowl for serving, if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate to serve later. Best if served same day. If you want to make ahead, omit the avocado and keep dressing separate until you're ready to serve. Enjoy!
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 753mg | Potassium: 486mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 815IU | Vitamin C: 21.2mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2.3mg