How to make Hard Boiled Eggs
The perfect hard boiled egg is easy to peel with a creamy yolk. This recipe explains how to make hard boil eggs on the stove top and in an Instant Pot.
Instant Pot (recommended):
Arrange eggs in single layer on rack. Add 1 cup cold water. Close lid and make sure pressure valve is seated correctly.
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Once done, allow eggs to sit undisturbed while Instant Pot transitions to Keep Warm Setting. Release pressure and open lid.
Transfer eggs to ice water bath for at least 5 minutes. Peel and enjoy.
Arrange eggs in a single layer in a pot. Cover with at least an additional inch of cold water. Add vinegar and salt to water.
Turn heat on high and heat, uncovered, until the water starts to boil. Don’t cheat here. Wait for a real boil.
Cover and turn heat off. Allow to sit in covered pot for 15 minutes. Use that kitchen timer because you will forget.
Drain off hot water and immediately submerge eggs into ice water. Ensure there’s enough ice so that it doesn’t all melt. Allow to sit in ice water for at least 15 minutes.
If using the Instant Pot:
- Make sure the seal on the lid is properly fit and the pressure valve is in the correct position. If it doesn't properly come to pressure, this method won't work.
- I prefer the 5-5-5 method, but you can vary the times based on how done you like your yolks. This method, however, will create perfectly cooked, creamy yellow yolks.
- Do not forget about your eggs once they have finished cooking and it's on the warm setting. I did this once and they sat for an hour. The eggs were inedible!
If using the Stove Top:
- The type of stove you use will impact the resting period. If you have a gas range, keep the pot on the burner for 15 minutes. If you have an electric range, you will need to move it off of the hot burner after a couple minutes because it remains too hot. If you have an induction burner, you will need to reduce the heat to low for a couple minutes before turning off.
- Take care not to over crowd the eggs as they may crack while boiling.
- Old eggs will peel better when using this method.
Calories: 63kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 63mg | Potassium: 61mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 238IU | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg