Purple Cabbage Citrus Slaw
This light and fresh Purple Cabbage Citrus Slaw made without mayonnaise is is a delicious and vibrant coleslaw perfect for topping pulled pork sandwiches!
- 1 head purple cabbage outer leaves remove and finely shredded
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Toss cabbage with sugar and half of salt and allow to sit in colander for 1-4 hours. Discard any liquid that is created.
Whisk oil, lemon (or lime, if using) juice, celery seeds, remaining salt, and fresh ground pepper (if desired) in large bowl. Add cabbage and toss to coat. Chill 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- To finely shred the cabbage, use a mandolin, spiralizer, or food processor
- As the cabbage sits in the sugar and salt, toss it every so often to help distribute the ingredients and release the liquid quicker
- Coleslaw is best served, in my opinion, on the first day as it will continue to release liquid until consumed
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 610mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 1170IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg