Whole Ham with Pineapple Mustard Glaze
The best recipe for an oven baked or BBQ grilled Whole Bone-in Ham covered with the most delicious pineapple, brown sugar, and spicy mustard glaze.
Servings: 16 servings
Score the outer fat layer of the ham in a diamond pattern. Only let your knife go as deep as the fat and make the lines of the diamonds run about an inch apart. This will allow the fat to more easily render and it will also allow the pineapple glaze to better sink into the meat.
Insert a meat thermometer into your ham and wrap the entire ham in foil. Cook the ham with the flat side down and the fat side up in the oven or on grill at 325°F until the thermometer reads 135°F.
Combine the pineapple, brown sugar, and mustard in the blender to make a glaze.
Once the ham is 135°F, leave the ham on the foil but open it up. If there's excess liquid, drain off as much as you can. Increase oven temperature to 425°F and make sure the oven rack is set to the lowest level. Pour the pineapple glaze all over the ham, trying to keep as much on the ham as you can. Leave the foil open but this time make more of a bowl with it. Put the glaze-covered ham back in the hot oven and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 140°F. If it looks like it's starting to burn, you can loosely tent it with foil.
Remove from oven or grill and allow to rest at least 15 minutes before slicing. Ham should fall off the bone. When done, reserve bone to make some leftover ham soup.
Cooking tips for perfect results:
- Prior to cooking, set the ham out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Fresh pineapple is recommended, however canned or thawed frozen pineapple can be used instead.
- Heavy duty aluminum foil is recommended as it is less likely to tear.
- Total cooking time will depend on the size of your ham, but you can plan on roughly 20 minutes per pound.
- You can prepare a spiral cut ham using the same recipe instructions and it will be delicious, however it won't shred like this whole ham did.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 1436mg | Potassium: 350mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg