Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stack
Get all the flavors you love with traditional enchiladas without having to do all the work by making this easy Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stack.
In a medium sized bowl, combine about 1 cup of enchilada sauce (reserve the other half for later), beans, corn, and chicken. Stir to combine.
Spread half of the remaining enchilada sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker. Set the first tortilla on top.
To layer the casserole, you will take a spoonful of the chicken mixture and spread it out across the tortilla an then top with a handful of cheese. Continue layering with a tortilla, filling, then cheese. Continue to repeat the process and portion the ingredients such that the top of the casserole has your last tortilla, the remaining enchilada sauce, and a big handful of cheese.
Cover and cook on high 1-2 hours or on low 4-6 hours.
- This recipe can be made extremely easy by using canned enchilada sauce and pre-cooked chicken. Or, you can go the extra mile and make your own homemade red enchilada sauce and use some meat from a slow cooker chicken.
- My preference is to always use a block of cheese and grate it yourself, however for this recipe pre-shredded cheese works perfectly fine.
- You can use corn or flour tortillas for this recipe, but my preference is actually to use wheat flour and corn blend. They taste a lot like corn tortillas but aren't as dry.
- If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, I highly recommend the Cuban Style Black Beans. They have a lot more flavor than plain black beans because of the added onions and peppers.
- This recipe tastes great, if not better, the next day because it really gives all the flavors time to mix.
- Serve with olives, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, etc.
Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 1179mg | Potassium: 482mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 920IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 420mg | Iron: 3.2mg