Spicy Southwestern Chili with ground beef, chorizo, green chile, black and pinto beans is a hearty meal that can be made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 12 ounces chorizo
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces beer try a Mexican beer like Corona
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (28 oz. can) unsalted plum tomatoes, with juice (break up tomatoes into pieces)
- 1 cup roasted green chile diced
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 15 ounces black beans (15 oz. can) black beans, rinsed
- 15 ounces pinto beans (15 oz. can) pinto beans, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Garnish with freshly grated cheese, sour cream, and/or diced avocados
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef and chorizo with chopped onion until meat is slightly browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic, stir, and cook for a couple more minutes. Add mixture to large slow cooker.
Empty beer into pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to release anything that stuck to the pan. Pour that into the slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients, stir, and set slow cooker to low. Cook for 4-8 hours.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
Using saute mode, brown ground beef and chorizo with chopped onion until meat is slightly browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic, stir, and cook for a couple more minutes.
Empty beer into pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to release anything that stuck to the pan.
Add remaining ingredients, close the lid, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Serve with freshly grated cheese, sour cream and diced avocados, if desired.
- Refrigerate any leftovers. Should be eaten within a few days.
- Nutritional information does not include any toppings.
Calories: 475kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 1631mg | Potassium: 916mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 396IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 6mg