Homemade Sausage Stuffing is the very best Thanksgiving sausage dressing recipe you can make! Made with fresh bread and tons of flavor, it won't disappoint.
Servings 12 servings
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon sage dried or minced fresh
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more if you like heat
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram fresh if you have it
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 cups yellow onion diced (1 large onion)
- 2 cups celery diced (about 8 small stalks)
- 4 tablespoons fresh minced herbs sage, rosemary, thyme
- 3 cups chicken stock or turkey if you have it
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley minced
- 16 ounces bread 1 loaf, look for a rosemary round, cut into 1-inch cubes
To Make the Sausage:
In medium sized bowl, thoroughly combine all sausage ingredients. Its easiest if you use your hands to mix.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook until brown and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
To Make the Stuffing:
Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and minced herbs (not the parsley). Stir to coat in the melted butter and then saute until they start to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Add broth to skillet and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool enough that mixture is cool to the touch.
Meanwhile, beat egg with 1/4 cup chopped parsley in a large bowl; add cubed bread and toss to coat. Pour the cooked sausage and cooled vegetable broth mixture over the bread and toss. Transfer to a buttered baking dish and dot with remaining two tablespoons of butter.
Cover and bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees F; uncover and bake until golden, 30 more minutes.
- If you like crispy sausage stuffing, cook in a larger baking dish. If you like it mushy, you can use a smaller deep baking dish.
- Although I call this stuffing, it is baked and served as a dressing. I don't actually stuff my turkey.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 520mg | Potassium: 336mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 459IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 2mg