Homemade classic Pumpkin Pie is a Thanksgiving favorite! This traditional recipe uses a homemade pie crust and can be made with canned or fresh pumpkin.
Servings: 12 servings
In a small bowl, mix sugars, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and stir in pumpkin and sugar spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and mix until fully combined.
Line a 9-inch pie dish with pie crust and flute edges. Pour pumpkin pie filling into pie shell. Filling will be very wet and should go right up to the edge of the crust.
Preheat oven to 425° F with a baking sheet on a rack that is in the lower third of the oven. Place pie on hot baking dish and bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F without opening oven door and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Center should appear slightly jiggly but not wet. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate (cover with plastic wrap but be sure pie has fully cooled first). Top with whipped cream before serving.
- The best pie crust recipe link. I only use butter and a secret ingredient to make it flaky!
- Total cooking time for this recipe will depend heavily on the type of pie dish you use. Glass tends to cook the pie quicker than ceramic.
- Recipe makes 1 pie.
- When I bake pies, I like to have my oven rack set in the lower third of the oven. This allows the bottom crust and filling to cook without the top of the pie getting overly brown.
- If you made my butter pie crust, you'll need to set the pie on a baking sheet in the oven. The butter will melt and ooze all over your oven creating a smoky mess.
- It's all about the jiggle. Sometimes the hardest part about baking a pumpkin pie is knowing when it's done. The trick is to give it a shake. In now way should the middle look wet, but it should have a bit of jiggly movement to it. The pie will continue to set as it cools.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 189mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 5622IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 1mg