Cowboy Caviar, also known as Texas Caviar, is a cold salad recipe consisting of black eyed peas, a light vinaigrette dressing, and colorful vegetables!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Servings 12 servings
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes seeds removed, diced (about 1 cup once chopped)
- 15 ounce can corn drained, can use 1-2 cups of fresh or frozen instead if available
- 15 ounce can olives drained and chopped
- 1 avocado pit removed, peeled, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and stem removed, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt more if desired
- 1/3 cup olive oil
To make the caviar, combine all ingredients except for those designated for the dressing. Toss to combine.
To make the dressing, combine all of the remaining ingredients except for the olive oil. While whisking, slowly pour a thin stream of olive oil in, whisking constantly, until it all has been added. Continue to whisk until fully emulsified. Add to Cowboy Caviar contents and toss to coat.
Serve immediately or refrigerate to serve later. Best if served same day. If you want to make ahead, omit avocado until you're ready to serve. Enjoy!
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 753mg | Potassium: 486mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 815IU | Vitamin C: 21.2mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2.3mg