Creamy Chicken Soup
Creamy Chicken Soup is so rich, yet it is loaded with veggies and is an easy, healthy, simple chicken soup recipe your entire family will love for dinner.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5 T butter divided
- 1 onion minced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 T flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
In a heavy bottom dutch oven over medium high heat, cook chicken thighs in olive oil for about 15 minutes, flipping once. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly on a plate. The chicken likely stuck to the pan. Deglaze the pan by adding the white wine over low heat and scraping the bottom of the pan until all of the cooked bits have been loosened. Transfer the cooked chicken bits in white wine to a separate cup.
Add one tablespoon of the butter to the dutch oven and and set heat to high. Add onions, celery and carrot and allow to cook until slightly golden brown while stirring only occasionally for a total of about 10 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, shred chicken meat. When vegetables have finished cooking, remove them from the dutch oven and set them on the same plate as the chicken.
Return the pan to the stove and melt the remaining 4T of butter over medium high heat. Add the garlic and allow to cook for about a minute, then add the flour and stir to combine to make a roux. Allow to cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
Add the milk and heavy cream to the roux and whisk constantly until thoroughly mixed. Allow to cook while constantly whisking until thickened. Whisk in the chicken broth. Add shredded chicken and cooked vegetables to the broth and stir. Add salt, to taste, and pepper, as desired.
Serve with a warm crusty bread or some rosemary crackers.
- I prefer to use chicken thighs in many of my chicken soup recipes because the meat is so flavorful and it shreds really well. You can substitute with chicken breast if you prefer.
- Even though I add a bit of olive oil to my pan, the chicken almost always sticks. Have no fear… the part that sticks to the bottom is the best part! It will all come off when you deglaze with the wine.
- I prefer to chop all of my veggies by pulsing them in the food processor. Not only does that save me time, but I think having a wide variety of sizes, from minced to chopped, not only enhances the texture of the soup but also the taste.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 1184mg | Potassium: 595mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 4220IU | Vitamin C: 14.9mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 1.5mg