Cornbread Dressing, made with homemade cornbread, is one of the best Thanksgiving side dishes you can make! Pure old fashioned soul food.
Servings 12 servings
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup medium grind corn meal
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter for greasing skillet
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onion (1 large) diced
- 2 cups celery (about 8 small stalks) diced
- 4 tablespoons fresh minced herbs sage, rosemary, thyme
- 3 cups chicken stock or turkey stock if you have it
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- ¼ cup parsley minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
To make the cornbread:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F with a 12 inch cast iron skillet in the oven.
Using a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape sides.
In a medium sized bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and milk. Alternate adding small amounts of the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients to the butter mixture, each time mixing just until combined.
Pull hot cast iron skillet out of the oven and melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet, spreading around the bottom and up the sides. Pour batter into skillet and cook for 20 minutes in 400 degree F oven.
Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from skillet to fully cool.
Cut cornbread into 1 inch cubes.
Melt ½ cup butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and minced herbs (not the parsley). Stir to coat in the melted butter and then saute until they start to turn golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Add stock and salt to skillet and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool enough that mixture is cool to the touch. You must allow this mixture to cool because you'll be mixing it with egg and do not want it to scramble.
Meanwhile, beat egg with ¼ cup chopped parsley in a large bowl; add cubed cornbread and gently toss to coat. Pour the cooled vegetable and broth mixture over the bread and toss. Transfer to a buttered baking dish and dot with remaining two tablespoons of butter.
Cover and bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees F; uncover and bake until golden, 30 more minutes.
If you like crispy dressing, there are a few things you can do:
- You can heat some olive oil in a saute pan and sear the cubes of cornbread prior to mixing with remaining stuffing ingredients.
- You can bake the dressing in a larger baking dish so that there is more surface area to make it crispy. The deeper and smaller the dish, the mushier the dressing will be.
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 477mg | Potassium: 296mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 668IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 1mg