Creamy Cilantro Lime Slaw
This Creamy Cilantro Lime Slaw combines fresh salad ingredients & a tangy dressing to make an outstanding side dish or your favorite fish taco topper.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 small head purple cabbage core and outer leaves removed, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt use a heaping teaspoon
- ½ cup fresh cilantro stems removed and chopped
- 3-4 large scallions thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeno stem and seeds removed, julienned or minced
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt same as 5.3 ounce serving, full fat recommended
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey raw honey recommended
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice from one large lime
- 1 teaspoon lime zest from that same large lime
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- pepper to taste
Shred your cabbage and place in a large strainer in the sink. Sprinkle the salt all over the cabbage and work it in with your hands. Allow to sit for at least 15min to allow the cabbage to get mildly limp.
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, lime juice, zest, garlic, and cumin.
In a large bowl, toss together cilantro, scallions, jalapeno, and salted cabbage. Cover with dressing and stir to combine.
Serve immediately or prepare up to one day in advance.
- When making coleslaw, the thinner you can shred the cabbage, the better. I used to do this using my spiralizer but now only use my mandolin. The thinnest cut will allow the cabbage to really absorb the flavorful dressing.
- Cilantro is one of those foods that you either love or you don't. If you are not a fan, you can easily omit. No substitution needed.
- Because the cabbage is salted, I don't add any salt to the dressing. Once the coleslaw has been fully mixed together, add salt and pepper, if needed.
- The spiciness of jalapenos vary widely. Before adding the jalapeno, determine how spicy it is by tasting a small piece and then add the proper amount based on how spicy you want the coleslaw to be.
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 125mg | Potassium: 305mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1310IU | Vitamin C: 64.9mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1mg