Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Muffins
Indulge in this naughty summer treat. Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Muffins are made with fresh strawberries and tart rhubarb wrapped in a brown sugar batter.
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fresh rhubarb diced
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries diced
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners or grease with butter.
To make the muffins, combine the buttermilk, melted butter and egg in large bowl. Mix well. Stir in strawberry and rhubarb.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix with wet ingredients and stir to combine. Do not over mix. Batter will be thick.
To make the streusel, combine the pecans, sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter, and mix until butter becomes crumbly. A pastry cutter might be necessary to get the butter mixed. Store topping in bowl in freezer until ready to use.
Scoop batter to fill each well about 2/3 of the way full and then top with a spoonful of streusel mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to sit in muffin pan once removed from the oven for about 5 minutes before transferring the muffins to a cooling rack.
Makes 12 muffins. Serving size = 1 muffin.
- You can use frozen fruit instead of fresh. Just be sure to fully thaw the fruit first. Frozen strawberries will release liquid as they thaw. Only use the fruit and reserve any liquid for something else.
- Be sure the butter for the topping is very cold. You want the butter to but cut into very small pieces so that it melts as it bakes.
- Store the muffins in an air tight container. They should last a day or two on the counter but should be refrigerated or frozen for longer storage.
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 105mg | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 320IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg