Cheesy Chipotle Fries
Cheesy Chipotle Fries smothered in a super spicy chipotle pepper sauce and melted Monterey Jack cheese make for a great finger food appetizer!
Servings 6 servings
- 24 ounces frozen fries
- 7.5 ounces chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice juice from one lime
- 8 ounces monterey jack shredded
- handful of fresh cilantro chopped
- salt & sour cream if desired
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss frozen fries in about 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, flipping half way through cooking time.
Heat oil in a saute pan over medium high heat and cook onion until just golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. During the last minute of cook time, add the garlic and allow to cook just until its golden brown.
Using your blender, blend cooked onion and garlic with remaining contents of chipotle peppers with sauce, honey, and lime juice until smooth. This makes just over 1 cup of sauce and it is super spicy.
Once the fries have cooked for about 30 minutes, remove them from oven and spoon as much or as little of this sauce on top. I prefer to use it sparingly, but do this according to how hot you like your fries. Transfer the remaining sauce to a ceramic dish and set it on the fry pan to warm it up in the oven. Top fries with cheese and return baking dish to oven for about 5 minutes to allow cheese to fully melt. Top with additional salt, if desired, as well as minced cilantro. Can also be served with sour cream to help cool down the heat.
Cooking tips for perfect results:
- Cook the fries in a small amount of sauce. This will give them plenty of a spicy kick but won't saturate them to the point where they won't get crispy.
- I highly recommend grating cheese from a block as opposed to buying pre-shredded. I just melts better.
- Be sure that your fries are spread out into a thin, even layer on the baking sheet during the first 30 minutes of cooking to ensure they get nice and crispy. You can push them together for the last 5 minutes since they'll be smothered in cheese.
Calories: 501kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 1208mg | Potassium: 551mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2063IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 299mg | Iron: 3mg