Country Sausage Gravy Recipe for Biscuits and Gravy
Country Sausage Gravy made from scratch is delicious! The best biscuits and gravy are made from homemade flaky buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage I highly recommend you make your own, recipe link in notes below
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the bulk sausage until brown and crumbly. If excess oil, drain while keeping a solid tablespoon of the sausage oil in the pan. Add the butter and stir well until melted.
Sprinkle sausage with flour, stir, and allow to cook for several minutes until the flour can absorb some of the fat and get golden brown.
Add the milk and stir. Continue stirring occasionally over medium heat until gravy thickens, 5-10 minutes.
- Sausage: You can buy in bulk from the meat counter at the grocery store, you can buy links and remove them from the casing, or you can make your own homemade breakfast sausage from ground pork and seasonings.
- Keep it warm: You'll want to serve the gravy hot. Because it's a cream based gravy with a fair amount of fat, it will get thicker as it cools. To keep warm, just heat over low heat on the stove until ready to serve.
- To store: Keep the extra gravy in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Should keep for 3-5 days.
Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 583mg | Potassium: 348mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 430IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 1.1mg