Moo Goo Gai Pan
If you're craving Chinese food, this Moo Goo Gai Pan recipe with tender pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast, vegetables including mushrooms, snow peas, and bok choy, complete with a savory sauce, is quick and easy dinner to make! This recipe is not spicy and has mild flavors.
Servings: 6 servings
MOO GOO GAI PAN:
- 1 tablespoon oil peanut, avocado, or vegetable
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced (stems removed before slicing, equivalent to about 6 large button or mini bella mushrooms)
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 head baby bok choy roughly chopped with stem removed
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots (one can, drained)
- 8 ounces water chestnuts (one can, drained)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- salt and pepper to taste
Marinate (velvet) the chicken:
Thinly slice chicken breast against the grain. An extremely sharp fillet knife and almost frozen chicken is recommended for easy slicing.
In a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag, whisk together soy sauce, corn starch, and rice vinegar until the corn start dissolves. Add the chicken breast and stir to coat. Allow to sit, refrigerated, for at least 20 minutes.
Cook the Moo Goo Gai Pan:
In a wok or large saute pan over high heat, add oil. When oil is so hot that it begins to smoke, add marinated chicken and spread out to avoid crowding. Cook for about 5 minutes, turning or tossing occasionally only to avoid burning. Transfer browned chicken to a clean plate and set aside.
Using the same pan, add mushrooms and snow peas and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring only occasionally to prevent burning. When the vegetables start to sear, add the bok choy, stir, and continue cooking.
Add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, and cooked chicken to the pan. Stir well to combine and allow to cook for a couple minutes minutes.
Add sauce, stir well to combine, and allow to cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens. Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste (I found that it definitely needed additional salt).
Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- To get the best sear: Always ensure the oil and pan are extremely hot, spread ingredients out as much as possible, and only stir to prevent burning.
- Modify ingredients: This is a versatile dish that can be altered however you wish. Additional ingredients you can add or swap include:
- sliced carrots
- fresh broccoli
- canned straw mushrooms
- peanuts or cashews
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 1127mg | Potassium: 725mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 402IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2mg