Cilantro Lime Rice
Make this Cilantro Lime Rice by toasting long grain rice in garlic, simmering in lime zest and chicken broth, and stirring in fresh cilantro and lime juice. Not only is this an easy and delicious side dish, but it is the perfect compliment to fajitas or burritos.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice or other long-grain white rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth can substitute with water or use a combination of chicken broth and water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large lime You will zest the entire lime first and then use the juice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro Plan on using an entire bunch. Lightly packed, roughly chopped, use only leaves and tender stems and discard main thick stems.
Toast rice: Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat. Add the uncooked rice and stir to coat. Cook, mostly undisturbed and stirring only occasionally to prevent burning, until the rice is golden brown and starts to smell wonderful. Add the garlic, stir, and allow to cook for about a minute.
Add liquid: Add chicken broth (or water, if using), salt, and lime zest to the rice. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, then cover and lower the heat to low to maintain a very low simmer.
Simmer: Cook, undisturbed, for about 15 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. At this point you can check texture of the rice and stir to ensure all of the liquid has been absorbed. When done, remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a large spoon.
Serve: Just prior to serving, add lime juice and cilantro to the rice and toss to combine. Start with half the lime, stir, taste and add additional salt or more lime juice based on your preference.
- Substitutions: To make this recipe vegetarian, use water instead of chicken broth. To make it vegan, also replace the small amount of butter with additional oil. Replace the cilantro and lime with basil and lemon for a completely different taste.
- Storage: Keep any leftover rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 3-5 days, even with the added cilantro.
Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 548mg | Potassium: 115mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 184IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg