Mushroom Risotto, made with both fresh and dried mushrooms, is a savory flavorful recipe. Homemade risotto is easy to make and is the best dinner side dish.
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 cups chicken stock divided
- 3/4 ounce dried mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups yellow onion peeled, finely chopped (usually equivalent to one large onion)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice uncooked
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces pecorino romano or parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper freshly ground , to taste
Run dried mushrooms through blender or food processor to transform them into a chunky powder.
Meanwhile, in a medium sized pot, heat chicken broth and over low heat. Add powdered dried mushrooms.
In a medium sized heavy bottom stockpot or dutch oven, melt butter and saute mushrooms, onion, and garlic over medium high heat until lightly brown, 10-15 minutes.
Add rice and stir for 1 minute. You want rice to get slightly browned.
Add wine and stir until liquid is absorbed, approximately 2 minutes.
Add ½ cup of stock (I just use one ladle full) and continue stirring until liquid is absorbed. Continue to add stock mixture, ½ cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed, until all liquid has been added to rice, approximately 30 minutes.
Turn off heat. Stir in grated shredded cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and allow to rest. Serve hot.
- The wine may be omitted, if needed.
- Be sure to dice the onion into very small pieces. Since you've already gotten the food processor dirty, you can save yourself some work by pulsing the onion instead of chopping it.
- Dry white wine is recommended for this mushroom risotto. I usually use Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, or Pinot Grigio.
- The cheese will melt best if you grate it from a block. Parmesan is a a great substitute, but be sure to grate it with a microplane for perfect melting.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 649mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 103IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 168mg | Iron: 3mg