Tater Tot Hotdish
Tater Tot Hotdish, also known as Tater Tot Casserole, is a classic comfort food recipe best known in Minnesota. This recipe is a combination of five ingredients you will most likely already have on hand – ground beef, onion, cream of mushroom soup, corn and tater tots.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups corn 14-ounce can, drained; or approximately 2-cups frozen or fresh corn
- 22 ounces cream of mushroom soup I used 2-11oz containers of Trader Joe's Portabella Cream of Mushroom; if using condensed, you must follow directions to add the appropriate amount of liquid
- 2 pounds tater tots
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Brown ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once meat is starting to brown and is crumbly, remove from heat. This should take about 10 minutes.
Either transfer meat mixture to a 9×13 casserole dish or keep it in the skillet if it is 12″ diameter and oven safe. Top with corn.
Next top with cream of mushroom soup.
Finally, top with tater tots. You can just dump them on, but I like to make a pattern because I'm weird like that.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until everything is heated through and tater tots are crisp on the outside.
- Vegetable variations: Try swapping out the corn with your other favorite vegetables. Readers have recommended using mixed vegetables, green beans, carrots, mushrooms, etc. You can also increase the amount of vegetables in the recipe.
- Crispy tots: When making a Tater Tot casserole, you definitely want the tater tots to be crispy. To do this, you can: ensure they are in a single layer, allow them to partially thaw before baking, or even pre-fry them before making the casserole.
- Other add-ins: my Midwest readers have also recommended adding sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, cream of chicken along with the cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and additional shredded potato mixed into the ground beef.
Calories: 467kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 700mg | Potassium: 631mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 12.7mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 2.3mg