Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Start your morning off right with the most fluffy and flavorful Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes with warm maple syrup for breakfast. YUM!
Servings: 16 small pancakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest from one very large or two small lemons
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries frozen and thawed or fresh
- Additional butter for griddle
Preheat griddle on medium low heat. Be sure the griddle is fully heated through before adding pancake batter.
In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center.
In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, zest, buttermilk, and melted butter. Pour wet ingredients into bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir very gently by folding liquid into dry ingredients. You want your batter to be lumpy.
Grease hot griddle with butter. Use as much as your heart desires. Place large spoonful of batter onto griddle. Top each pancake with 8-12 blueberries, then dot the top of each blueberry with a bit of batter to prevent the pancake from sticking to the griddle after you flip it. Do not flip until the pancake has lots of bubbles and the bottom is a golden brown. Flip only once and do not smash down with your spatula.
Serve with pure maple syrup. YUM!
Serving size based on one pancake.
I have a few tips and tricks to making these pancakes awesome, in addition to the basic recipe.
- First, be sure to use butter rather than oil on your grill. It makes the edges nice and crispy.
- Low and slow is best in my opinion. Low heat and a longer cooking time makes the best pancakes. This process allows the center of the pancake to cook through while the edges get golden brown without burning.
- Pour the batter on the hot griddle, then set the blueberries on top, then dot them with additional batter. This keeps the blueberries directly off the grill so that they stay inside your pancake. You don't need all that blueberry goodness exploding all over your grill and burning, now do you?
- Strategically place your blueberries so that they are evenly spaced. That way you'll get the same amount of blueberry in each bite!
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 125mg | Potassium: 146mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 199IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1mg