Five Alarm Steak Chili
This spicy Five Alarm Steak Chili is the best recipe you'll ever find, plus slow cooking it in the crockpot makes it perfect game day tailgating grub.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 pounds steak cut in 1-inch chunks (you can use stew beef, I used two sirloin steaks)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons oil I use avocado oil and use enough to generously coat bottom of pan
- 12 ounces beer 12 ounce bottle of amber ale
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 5 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 15 ounces red kidney beans 15 ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces white kidney beans 15 ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes unsalted plum tomatoes, with juice (break up tomatoes into pieces)
- Garnish with freshly grated cheese sour cream, and/or diced avocados
Add onion to the bottom of your slow cooker.
Lightly coat steak with flour and shake off excess. Heat a heavy bottom large skillet or dutch oven over high heat and add oil. When oil is hot, add meat, ensuring enough space is in between pieces to properly brown. Allow to cook for just a couple minutes on each side to brown. I had to do this in two separate batches. Turn off heat when done. Transfer browned steak to slow cooker, placing on top of the diced onion.
Add amber ale to pot and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to dissolve all that good stuff that stuck to the pot. Scrape it with a wooden spoon and then add entire mixture to slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients all the way up to the garnish, stir, and set slow cooker to cook on low for 8-10 hours. Before serving, use a masher to smash the chili to shred the meat and smash up some of the beans. This will thicken everything to perfection. Top with garnishes and serve hot.
Calories: 534kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 1368mg | Potassium: 1193mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1184IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 8mg