Apple Brown Betty
One of my favorite fall desserts is my version of Apple Brown Betty which consists of thinly sliced fresh apples with a no oat sweet and buttery topping.
Servings: 6 servings
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Add apple slices to a 9x9 baking dish. Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice over apples. Toss apples to evenly coat.
In medium sized bowl, combine flour, sugars, and spices. Add cold butter and use a pastry blender to work the butter into the dry ingredients, cutting it into small pieces. You want the mixture to be crumbly with little to no dry ingredients left that haven't touched the butter. Sprinkle all of the topping over the apples evenly.
Cover with aluminum foil and cook in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and allow to continue cooking until the topping is crisp, about 10-20 additional minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Apples: you can use any variety that you prefer in this recipe. My preference is for Honeycrisp. Alternatively, you can use a variety of apples.
- Fresh lemon juice is recommended but you can use bottled.
- If you don't have a pastry blender, simply cut the cold butter into very small cubes and use a fork to blend.
- Make ahead directions: You can prepare this recipe up to a day advance and keep refrigerated until you are ready to bake.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Will keep for several days.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 65mg | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin C: 9.6mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg