Key Lime Pie
This authentic homemade Key Lime Pie made with a gingersnap crust will deliver the perfect tart mouthwatering dessert topped with fresh whipped cream.
Servings 8 servings
- 9 ounces ginger snaps processed into fine crumbs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons key lime zest
- 1/2 cup key lime juice use 2/3 cup if you prefer it to be more tart
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar more if you like it sweeter
Heat oven to 350°F.
To make the crust, combine ginger snap crumbs and melted butter in medium bowl and mix well until crumbs are evenly coated. Press crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of a standard 9-inch pie dish. Bake crust in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Set on cooling rack while you prepare filling. Allow oven to remain at temperature.
To make the filling, beat zest and egg yolks in stand mixer with whisk attachment on medium high speed until pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Add sweetened condensed milk and beat until thickened again, about 3 minutes more. Whisk key lime juice into yolk mixture until combined. Pour into ginger snap crust and bake pie for another 10 minutes, until set but not browned. Let pie cool completely before adding topping.
To make the topping, beat heavy cream with sugar in stand mixer using whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Take care not to over or under beat. Spread over top of chilled pie. Ideally, pie should be chilled overnight so that it can fully set and can be easily sliced. If entire pie won't be eaten, don't add whipped cream until pie has been sliced and served so that the remaining pie can be stored easily in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes one whole pie
- This delicious pie will last up to a week if refrigerated... but who can let a pie like this sit in their frig for a week without eating it?
Calories: 524kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 161mg | Sodium: 239mg | Potassium: 342mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 199mg | Iron: 2mg