Shrimp Scampi delicately poaches large shrimp in a wine garlic butter sauce and is topped with fresh parsley and lemon juice. This delectable recipe can be served with freshly cooked pasta or crusty bread. Shrimp Scampi only takes minutes to cook, but the intense flavor and tender shrimp are what cravings are made of!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil extra-virgin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste (I don't measure, I just toss some in)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound extra-large raw shrimp shelled and deveined, tail on
- 4 teaspoons fresh parsley minced
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly squeezed lemon juice use about half of a lemon
- Cooked pasta or crusty bread
In a large skillet, melt butter with olive oil over low heat. Add garlic and sauté until garlic is infused and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Add wine, salt, red pepper flakes, and freshly ground pepper and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let wine reduce by half, which will take a few minutes.
Add shrimp in a single layer and poach until they just turn pink, 2 to 4 minutes each side depending upon their size. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice and serve over pasta or accompanied by crusty bread.
Cooking tips for perfect results:
Recipe adapted from the New York Times
- As you infuse the garlic into the butter, it's important that you find a temperature that turns the garlic a golden brown. Take care not to let it burn.
- To ensure tender, perfectly cooked shrimp, it is best to let them sit at room temperature for a good 30 minutes before cooking. Cold shrimp will take longer to cook and over cooking them might change their texture.
- To avoid lemon seeds from getting into your recipe, use a hand squeezer, a strainer, or a pieces of cheesecloth over the end of your lemon.
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 301mg | Sodium: 1259mg | Potassium: 456mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 5250IU | Vitamin C: 86.9mg | Calcium: 255mg | Iron: 6.3mg