These vibrant Wax Beans with Bacon and Tomatoes bring out the intense flavors of the beans and cherry tomatoes with a bacon sherry vinaigrette.
Aren’t they pretty? Since I was a photographer before I was a food blogger, I was always obsessed with getting catchlights in people’s eyes. Now I look for that same beautiful glimmer in a cherry tomato. Is that weird?
The first time I tasted green beans with cherry tomatoes was when I took a cooking class for fun with a friend and they had a very simple side dish of green beans, cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs. I thought why not change things up a bit and use wax beans instead of green beans (and because I already had them in my refrigerator) and add bacon. I mean, why wouldn’t you use bacon, right? The combination of all these ingredients play so well together and the colors just pop. So no matter the season, have some fun with your veggies and make them colorful and cook them with BACON!
Wax Beans with Bacon Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds wax beans
- 4 ounces bacon ends and pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snap the ends off the wax beans (the part that connects to the stem) and then snap the beans in half again.
- Blanch the beans in a large pot of boiling water for 2 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of ice water. When cool, drain.
- Chop bacon into small cubes. In large skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat, stirring frequently. When it starts to brown, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until all the pieces are done, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked bacon pieces to a paper towel covered plate. Drain off excess grease in pan reserving anything that sticks to the pan. Over medium heat, cook the shallots and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add sherry vinegar, stir, and cook for another two minutes. Add cooked bacon, tomatoes and blanched wax beans to the skillet and cook until warm.
- Toss in basil, salt and pepper prior to serving.