Having grown up loving Charlie Brown, I was inspired by the new Peanuts Movie to make The Great Pumpkin Cookies. They are super soft and easy to make!
If you like super soft pumpkin cookies, you’ll also want to make my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies!
I knew I wanted to make some super soft pumpkin cookies. Because I love watching Charlie Brown It’s the Great Pumpkin every fall, I found it fitting to name them The Great Pumpkin Cookies.
The batter for these cookies is really easy to mix up. I used a combination of freshly roasted pumpkin as well as canned pumpkin puree simply based on what I had on hand. This cookie is almost a cross between a cookie and a muffin top. Its very soft and cake-like.
I debated whether I wanted to add chocolate chips or make a glaze. Then, I got the genius idea to melt some chocolate chips and create a chocolate zigzag to match Charlie Brown’s shirt. Cute, right?
My kids absolutely loved these cookies and have been taking them to school in their lunches every day. With or without the chocolate, they’re a fantastic fall treat.
This recipe uses pure vanilla extract. Did you know you can make your own homemade vanilla extract? It makes the perfect gift too. Watch how in the video below.
The Great Pumpkin Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter 1 cube, softened
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attached, cream sugar and butter together until smooth. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Allow to cool on baking sheets for a couple of minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- To create chocolate stripe, melt chocolate on 50% power in the microwave in 1 minute increments until melted and smooth once stirred. Transfer to a plastic bag with the corner snipped off and pipe onto cookie in a zig zag pattern.