If you’re looking for a moist and delicious breakfast treat, this Sweet Potato Quick Bread is the perfect start to any Fall morning.
I have really grown to love sweet potatoes. When I was a kid, I would only enjoy them if they were smothered in roasted marshmallows on Thanksgiving day, but now I love them in most forms, especially for breakfast. Some of my favorite ways to eat sweet potatoes are when they’re made more savory by combining with bacon and herbs in things like a frittata or a hash, but you really can’t beat how moist and delicious they make things like this quick bread.
I was so please with how perfect this bread turned out. I have a history of making breads like this turn out too dry, but I think this may be impossible to mess up. It was dense yet fluffy, moist and flavorful. I happened to have a small handful of leftover candied hazelnuts that I chopped up and threw in at the last minute and I have to admit, they really sent this bread to over-the-top delicious status!
Sweet Potato Quick Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup apple cider hot
- optional: candied hazelnuts chopped, see recipe link in notes
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Mix in the beaten eggs and mashed potatoes. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir to combine. Next, add the hot apple cider to the wet mixture and stir well. Then, add the remaining dry ingredients and stir until combined. If adding chopped candied hazelnuts, stir them in now.
- Add the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Once completely cool, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.