If you’re looking for an easy yet sophisticated dessert, Spice Roasted Figs with Hazelnuts and Vanilla Ice Cream are simply elegant as well as super tasty!
I have never enjoyed a fresh fig before I made this recipe. Can you believe it? I consider myself reasonably seasoned when it comes to food (pun totally intended), yet how is it possible I have never enjoyed this delicacy? I was raised to believe figs only belonged one place – smothered in sugar in the middle of a short bread packaged cookie. How could I have been so disillusioned? Plus, how could I have never enjoyed these gorgeous fruits when they grow in abundance here in Oregon, a state in which I’ve proudly resided in for over a decade. I’m just appalled that these have been absent from my life but I vow to make up for it with massive fig consumption in the coming years.
If there’s one thing that pairs well with figs, I will tell you it is hazelnuts. But, combining perfectly sweetened spiced roasted figs with crunchy roasted hazelnut pieces cannot make a complete dessert without the creamy addition of vanilla ice cream.
This recipe was especially fun to make because it was fast, easy, and it forced me to finally use fresh figs!
You can tell when they’ve been broiled to perfection because all of this lovely sweet syrup starts oozing from the figs. When you serve the sweet warm figs up with your ice cream and hazelnuts, be sure to drizzle that fig syrup over the top as well. So good. I had some friends over for dinner and served this for dessert. Saying it was a huge hit would be an understatement. I encourage you to make this for your friends and family and you’ll see what kind of conversations come about from serving them fresh figs!
Spiced Roasted Figs with Hazelnuts and Vanilla Ice cream
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 8 ripe figs halved lengthwise
- 1 1/3 cups Vanilla Ice Cream link in notes for homemade
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts blanched, toasted, coarsely chopped
- Position broiler rack 6 inches from heat source and preheat broiler. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and spices. One at a time, dip figs, cut side down, in sugar mixture to coat. Then coat figs a second time with sugar mixture and arrange cut side up on baking sheet. Broil figs, watching closely, for about 4 minutes, or until sugar melts and begins to caramelize and figs soften slightly and begin to ooze their juice.
- Divide figs among 4 bowls. Spoon 1/3 cup of Vanilla Ice Cream into each bowl and sprinkle with hazelnuts.