This is the best Slow Cooker Pulled Pork recipe you’ll find. Its moist, flavorful and makes a perfect family dinner or game day treat.
Oh, pulled pork. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
1. You are delicious.
2. You are delicious.
3. You are delicious.
I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.
Now, don’t be fooled by my enthusiasm. I’ve very picky and particular about my pulled pork. Whether its cooked in a smoker or in a slow cooker, its a big fat FAIL if there’s any left over fat, if its dry, or if there’s no flavor. This pulled pork recipe is beyond good. There’s no leftover fat because most of it melts away, plus I’m quite meticulous when I shred it. If the fat bothers you, I’m sure you’re the same way. Its definitely not dry. Cooking the meat in the slow cooker with apple cider, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth guarantees every morsel will be moist. Plus, taking the time to sear the meat before hand not only adds flavor and texture, but it locks in moisture. And finally, this pulled pork has so much flavor. When you reduce the cooking liquid, it intensifies the flavor. When you combine that intense goodness with the moist shredded meat, the final product is insanely delicious.
I topped my pulled pork with thinly cut purple cabbage citrus slaw and served it up with some whiskey BBQ sauce. I cooked some cornmeal buns and they tasted pretty awesome but didn’t rise like I wanted so I didn’t bother posting them on the blog. You can always make some homemade hamburger buns – they’re real crowd pleasers!
I love this kind of meal for family dinner or for game day grub. Some of my other favorite sides to serve are twice baked potatoes, angel hair coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans, oven baked rosemary garlic fries, or collard greens with bacon. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bone in pork roast 3-4 pounds
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar, paprika, salt, mustard powder, cumin, chili powder and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Rinse and pat dry pork roast. Trim any excess fat. Coat roast with dry rub.
- Heat heavy bottom dutch oven or skillet on high. Add vegetable oil. When oil is hot, add roast and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes each side.
- Add browned roast to slow cooker. Add apple cider, cider vinegar, and chicken broth. Cook on low 8 hours.
- When done, transfer roast to plate to cool. When cool enough to handle, shred meat, discarding any fat and bones.
- Strain liquid from slow cooker. Cook over medium heat until reduced to about 1 cup, about 10-20 minutes. Return shredded meat and reduced liquid to slow cooker, stir, and heat until warm. Season with additional salt or apple cider vinegar, if desired. Serve with BBQ sauce, cider slaw, and homemade buns.