Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate with real pumpkin puree is a classic warm fall drink. Make a single cup for you or a batch in the slow cooker for a crowd!
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate is one of those drinks that is really appreciated in the fall. Something magical happens this time of year when the days get colder and darker, the leaves start to fall, and it is pumpkin spice everything all around you! Now, this recipe does use real pumpkin puree and is a great way to use any left over pumpkin puree from a different recipe, but the real fall flavor comes from the Pumpkin Spice.
If you’ve never tried pumpkin + chocolate together, you’re in for a real treat. I play with this flavor combination a lot, and some of my favorite chocolate pumpkin recipes are my Pumpkin Swirl Brownies and my Marbled Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake. I always top my homemade hot chocolate with either whipped cream or a homemade marshmallow. Anyone think I should create a recipe for chocolate covered pumpkin spice marshmallows? I do!
MY OTHER RECIPES
How to make hot chocolate:
- Decide on the type of chocolate you want to use: cocoa powder or some form of melting chocolate.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder gives you the chocolate taste you want and dissolves well. When using only unsweetened cocoa powder, my rule of thumb is equal amounts of cocoa powder to sugar.
- Any kind of melting chocolate like chocolate chips is already sweetened, so I usually don’t add additional sugar. It definitely makes your hot chocolate thicker and richer.
- Homemade hot chocolate needs dairy. You can choose milk, half and half, or a combination depending on how creamy and delicious you want your hot cocoa to be.
- Add-in flavors like peppermint extract, pure pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice, or even pure fruit extracts completely transform the flavor of your hot chocolate.
- Toppings like homemade marshmallows or whipped cream are always a must.
- When cooking on the stove, remember to bring the temperature up slowly and heat just until the milk gets scalded. When making a large batch for a crowd, I highly recommend using your slow cooker.
Kitchen tools used to make this hot chocolate:
Stainless Steel Ladle: This one is easy to grip and light weight. Just a few ladles will fill your soup bowl.
Flexible Measuring Cups – My sister and I first found these at a cooking class and we thought they were just the best invention. Any time you are measuring and/or pouring liquid, these are simply the best to have on hand. They make a great gift for your favorite cook, too!
Measuring Spoons – These are my favorite. Plus, they nest and clip together for easy storage.
Stainless Steel Cookware – Not only is it gorgeous, but it works great! This set in particular has a 3-ply bonded construction consists of durable stainless steel encapsulating an aluminum core for even heating throughout and a highly polished cooking surface with starburst finish offers stick resistance and easy maintenance, plus it won’t react with food.
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and heat on medium until chocolate has melted and mixture is hot. Serve immediately with whipped cream.
This is for a single serving, but can easily be made for a crowd by multiplying the recipe and throwing all the ingredients in a crockpot and kept warm on low setting.