Few things go better together than mint and chocolate. Combine the best of both worlds and make these Junior Mint Hot Chocolate Brownies for dessert!
I always make my brownies from scratch, but that process has always involved unsweetened cocoa. When you use hot chocolate mix instead, you add the awesome flavor that you loved so much as a kid. When I saw all the different flavors of hot cocoa that Two Rivers makes, I knew instantly that I wanted to use the Junior Mint flavor. I have so many memories of going to the movies with friends when I was younger. We would always blow our entire paycheck on concessions which always included popcorn, soda, and a big box of junior mints! I couldn’t believe how much this hot chocolate tasted like the original.
The result was a perfectly soft, moist, chewy brownie with just the right amount of chocolate + mint. The hot cocoa mix not only added the perfect flavor, but it made the final texture perfectly cake-like!
Junior Mint Hot Chocolate Brownies
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup hot chocolate mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- One large box Junior Mints optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil sprayed with the cooking spray or, alternatively, you can use parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Allow to cool slightly. Add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract to the melted butter; stir to combine. Add flour, hot chocolate mix, salt and baking powder to the mixture; stir until just combined. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking pan and, if desired, add about half of the Junior Mint candies to the batter.
- Bake until the brownies begin to pull away from the edges of the pan and are set in the center, about 22-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a rack. Add remaining candies to the top, if desired. Cut into 16 squares.