This post first appeared over at Real Housemoms where I’m a contributor.
This BERRY CHEESECAKE FRUIT SALAD sweetened with a secret ingredient is a rich, decadent, and crowd-pleasing side dish or dessert!
I can’t wait for summer to get here. Not just because these berries would cost a fraction of what I just spent on them (totally worth it, mind you), but Pacific Northwest berries are the best in the world. If you don’t live around these parts, I’m not saying the fruit grown where you live is bad. I’m just saying that there is nothing better than an Oregon berry. Trust me on this one.
I wanted to make something that could pass as a side dish, but once you taste it, you’ll know that it really rides the line between side dish and dessert. This fruit salad is a real hit at summer potlucks and I guarantee everyone will be asking you why it tastes so good. You’ll have to tell them its because of the secret ingredient, which we’ll just keep between you and me (and the thousands of other people who read this post).
You ready for it? Lemon curd. Oh yes. I’ve seen recipes for cheesecake fruit salads that are very similar, but they sweeten them with powdered sugar. Don’t get me wrong – I could probably eat more powdered sugar than the average sugar-loving person, but lemon curd not only sweetens, but it adds that extra “oh my” factor that people can’t quite taste. Hence, its the perfect secret ingredient.
Berry Cheesecake Fruit Salad
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 3 heaping tablespoons lemon curd
- 6 cups fresh berries
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Whip cream cheese until very light and fluffy. Mix in lemon curd. Fold in whipped cream until mixed.
- If washing the fruit, be sure to allow to fully dry before adding to the cream mixture. When ready, fold fruit into cream mixture.
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
If you think this looks good, you’ll have to check out my damn good fruit salad:
Or if the cheesecake in the title is what drew you in, you’ll want to take a look at my cookie butter cheesecake: