Homemade BBQ baked beans loaded with flavor and, most importantly, bacon cannot be beat for any summer outdoor barbecue with friends or family.
There’s something about baked beans and barbecued meat. Individually they’re good, but together they’re magic. For me, the perfect summer meal consists of perfectly seasoned and flavorful meat and an endless array of mouthwatering sides. When a summer BBQ is on the menu in this Foodie household, we either need to invite a minimum of a dozen people over, or we need to make a solid commitment to eat the same meal every day for a week until the leftovers are either gone or they spoil. My favorite sides to pair with a perfect summer BBQ are these baked beans, coleslaw, collard greens, skillet cornbread, and fresh sliced watermelon. Don’t get me started on the desserts…This recipe makes enough to share with lots of friends at any potluck.
BBQ Baked Beans
- 2½ cups dried navy beans
- 16 oz bacon ends and pieces
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 - 15 oz can plain tomato sauce
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black or red pepper to taste
- Sort through your beans and remove any funny looking ones. If your beans came in a bag they'll most likely be pretty uniform, but you'll know what I mean if you get them from the bulk bin. Cover the beans with at least 2 inches of room temperature water and soak 8-12 hours. Easiest to start the soak before you go to bed and get them cooking early in the morning. Drain beans, discard soak water and rinse with fresh, cool water.
- Dice your bacon ends and pieces into small 1/2 inch chunks. Cook in pot over medium heat until crispy. Be sure to stir frequently to cook evenly and avoid burning. Scoop out and drain on paper towels. At this point your family will wake up and come downstairs due to the lovely wafting smell of applewood bacon and you will have to disappoint them when they see its off limits.
- Add soaked and rinsed beans, cooked bacon pieces, bell pepper and onion to your slow cooker.
- In a large bowl mix together remaining ingredients as well as 3 1/2 cups water. Pour over bean mixture. Set slow cooker to high and cook for 10-12 hours. Remove onion quarters before serving.