Barely Chocolate Waffles use Trader Joe’s Multigrain Baking mix as a base and become wonderful fluffy with just enough chocolate to make them delicious.
Everything I make has a story. I don’t know why. I can’t remember people’s names. More times than not, I’ll leave my house forgetting something I shouldn’t. I’m your classic over extended scatter brain. But, for whatever reason, I can always remember food. I remember what it tastes like, I remember what I was thinking when I was cooking, and I always remember the smell.
Here’s the story behind these barely chocolate waffles. I was staying with my sister for a week. It was such a great visit. One of the ways my sister and I balance each other out is how I really like to cook and she really likes me to cook for her. Its a win-win situation, right? Anyway, she has all these fantastic kitchen appliances (although she never uses them) and I was so impressed with her waffle maker. Mine makes tiny thin little round waffles. Hers makes these gigantic crispy-on-the-outside soft-on-the-inside Belgium waffles. We also had three baskets of gorgeous ripe organic strawberries from the farmers market that were begging to be sliced up and put on something delicious. I didn’t want to make regular old plain waffles so I did what I normally do when I want to make something extra yummy – I added chocolate.
And now for the second part of my story… My sister didn’t have any baking powder in her house. To not have a staple like baking powder just baffled me, but she suggested I use Trader Joe’s Multigrain Baking mix. I like to make things from scratch but she reminded me that a lot of the people who might stumble upon my blog may not and that I should offer ideas from time to time like incorporating mixes instead of going 100% from scratch. If you’ve read any of my other posts, you may have caught on to the fact that I love Trader Joe’s. I do most of my shopping there. I’m sure any kind of multipurpose baking mix that can be transformed into pancakes or waffles will work, but I’m recommending you try TJ’s multigrain mix.
There’s just enough chocolate in these waffles to let you know its in there but there’s also a small enough amount to not consider it a real treat. That way I can justify having dessert later in the day (as if I ever need a reason).
Barely Chocolate Waffles
- 2 cups Trader Joe's Multigrain Baking Mix
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- Heat waffle iron on medium high heat.
- In large bowl, thoroughly mix baking mix, cocoa powder, and brown sugar. Add melted butter, milk and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until peaks form, about 4 minutes on medium high speed. Gently fold egg whites with remaining ingredients just until combined.
- Scoop batter into waffle iron and spread until all surfaces are covered, then cook.
- Makes two large Belgium waffles, 8 squares total.
- Top with sliced strawberries, whipped cream, and maple syrup for an utterly amazing breakfast